Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Memory Lane: Dune, Frank Herbert

What are the books that stand out the most in your memory?  Your favourites?  That you re-read?  That you most wish you could chat to others about?  I'm reminiscing about some of my faves here. 

memorylane


Let's start with the book I've read most in my life, on average I'd say I'd read this once a year at least since I first cracked it's spine (yup, I'm a spine bender) when I was 12.


What's not to love?  Dune is sweeping saga of family, love, betrayal, triumph over oppression, and giant worms that live in the sand.  I still love it's adventure, deep philosophy, and escapist magic.  If you haven't tried it yet, give it a go.  It's the original and the best.


[image source 1]
[image source 2]

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

I think it was the first book we discussed. Way back ... when we were two, and not one.

L, D

Selene said...

Thanks, husband! Gotta love the litany against fear, it does come in handy when chatting up future wives ;)

xo